httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy Questions
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:05:38 GMT
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Raymond wrote:

> A couple of questions regarding reverse proxy utilizing mod_proxy:
>
> 1) To reverse proxy (web-accelerate) on the same box, typically ( in squid )
> one would configure httpd to an non-standard port ( say, 82 or 8082 ). Does
> not appear possible with mod_proxy. Does mod_proxy simply intercept the
> "listen" port(s) ?

I'm not sure I parse that the same as Joshua did.  Port is irrelevant
unless you invoke it in your configuration.  What invokes mod_proxy
(if enabled) is an incoming proxy request.

> 2) Can mod_proxy be utilized inside VirtualHosts so it is a reverse proxy in
> one virtualhost and a forward proxy in another. If so, how 'bout an example
> or two?

Yes.

Joshua gave you a sample configuration.  I would add that there is no
requirement for the virtual hosts to be on different ports - they could
perfectly well be NameVirtualhosts on the same port.  Or even a single
host.

You and one or two others asked supplementary questions following
Joshua's answer.  Can I direct you to my article at
http://www.apacheweek.com/features/reverseproxies
regarding reverse proxy questions?

--
Nick Kew