httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] decrypting PGP/GPG on the fly
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:49:33 GMT
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Todd Ellner wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 15:20, D. Rick Anderson wrote:
> > Is there a way to have Apache decrypt a .gpg file on the fly? As in taking
> > an encrypted PDF and decrypting it, then sending the unencrypted PDF file
> > to the client?
> >
> > I've been digging around in the mail archives and on the internet and
> > can't seem to find a way to do this.
>
> Take a look at "Writing Apache Modules in Perl and C" by Stein and
> MacEachern. Chapter 4 (Content Handlers) has what you are looking for.

It would seem to me a lot more appropriate for an output filter (works
with anything) than a content handler (which of course precludes you
using it in a proxy or with dynamically-generated content, for example).
I'd guess that chapter must date from a time when Apache was an
altogether more limited platform.

I would need to RTFM to implement this, but it seems to me that the
only difficult bit is how to deal with security of the keys
(and passphrases if applicable) used for decryption.  But I guess
that would be the same in a filter or a handler.

--
Nick Kew