httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] httpd process using too much memory
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:51:02 GMT
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Juan E Suris wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> My problem is that I have a perl cgi (on linux, apache 2.0) that
  generates very large files, that are sent to the browser directly form
  the perl script (using "Content-Dispositon: attachment",, etc..).

Are you sure that's what you mean?

That header is only meaningful in the context of a multipart MIME message.
Is that really what you're sending to the browser?

>	 This in
 turn causes the httpd process serving the request to use up alot of
 memory (about the size of the file being served).

It shouldn't do that unless you have an output filter that breaks
pipelining and buffers the entire document.  I'd suggest inserting
mod_diagnostics in the output chain to see if/where that's happening,
and try to identify the module responsible.  Your CGI might be able
to fix it by setting different headers.

--
Nick Kew