httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] suexec debugging
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:35:03 GMT
> found it, on /usr/local/apache/logs/suexec.log -- redhat 9

Heh!  That'll teach me to post replies before flushing the mail queue
on the server .. seems you're ahead of me.  Ignore my witterings.

> the suexec.log says
>
> [2004-03-01 10:53:39]: crit: calling user mismatch (nobody instead of www)
>
> doubtless because I compiled apache with suexec and user www, while my
> httpd.conf file has user nobody and group nobody. Planning, who needs planning?

:-)

> For starters I don't understand groups; there I said it. I changed
> httpd.conf to have user www and commented out the group directive for the
> document root, while I also have user dad for a virtual host.

You need both user and group to match your system user and group.
The place to read about them is a Unix text, such as the manpages.

> Also edited /etc/passwd and changed nobody to www. Apache restarted with no
> complaints only it wouldn't run cgi's either from docroot or my virtual
> host. Nothing in the suexec.log showed up, but the httpd error log said
>
> [Mon Mar  1 19:47:40 2004] [error] (2)No such file or directory: exec of
> /mnt/web/guide/howami/cgibin/hello.cgi failed

I think I've given you enough obvious-but-irrelevant advice.  The
non-obvious problem that might be is a broken #! line in a script.

I'll shut up now ...

--
Nick Kew