httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 vs 2.0
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:14:35 GMT
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Wayne Cox wrote:
> > > Usually I go for the "latest & greatest" version;  but I really just need
> > > simple, stripped down lean & mean server.  So I'm wondering if 1.3 is
> > > substantially faster or smaller or something else advantageous for me?
> >
> > I'd basically say the opposite of other answers here.  Apache 1.3.x is a
> > proven and stable codebase.  Unless you need some of the features in
> > 2.0.x, stick with 1.3.x.
>
> Did you say the same thing to people asking you whether they should
> upgrade from php2 to php3 to php4 to php5 Rasmus?
>
> I think the implication that 2.0 is not "proven and stable" is rather
> unfair and untrue.  It will never be as stable as 1.3, of course, simply
> for the reason that there is very little active development of 1.3.

I have the impression the PHP folks are stuck two or three years in
the past (and growing).  Now we have it from the top ...

Could this be (subconsciously) an artifact of how PHP grew?  Apache 1.x
was a simple webserver, with limited extensibility outside the main
handler, so almost all web applications had to live in the handler (e.g.
CGI and PHP) or separated out (e.g. Tomcat apps).  With 2.x offering an
altogether more powerful applications platform, PHP's reason to exist is
by no means eliminated, but is much reduced.  And its weaknesses become
more important, both because of threaded MPMs being less forgiving,
and because the alternatives are more attractive.

> Even if you don't need any of the many new features in 2.0, you should be
> aware that almost all development work goes into that codebase.

Point of order: shouldn't that be 2.x - since 2.0 is the current stable
version, with some people describing 2.1 in terms like "pretty stable"?

--
Nick Kew