httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kalin Mintchev <ka...@el.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] AddDefaultCharset
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 02:05:44 GMT
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Kalin Mintchev wrote:
> > some problems with AddDefaultCharset
> >
> > i'm trying to use the AddDefaultCharset in apache 1.3 conf to set the
> > charset to gb2312 - simple chinese...
> >
> > this is how i do it:
> >
> > <Directory /web/htdocs/ch/ >
> >         AddDefaultCharset gb2312
> > </Directory>
> >
> > it doesn't work.
> >
> > here are the to examples. same pages:
> >
> > from my server:
> > http://danwen.com/ch/test.html
>
> lynx -head -dump http://danwen.com/ch/test.html | more
> HTTP/1.0 200 OK
> Date: Thu Mar 25 20:19:02 2004 EST
> Last-Modified: Thu Mar 25 20:19:02 2004 EST
> Expires: Thu Mar 25 20:19:02 2004 EST
>
> Something very funky going on there.

like what?

That doesn't look like a traditional
> apache response.  The ordering of the headers is very different.  Are you
> generating the headers yourself with php or something else?

no - plain html...  nothing else..
this is on top of the test.html now (still doesn't work):

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" content="zh_CN">

> This could
> explain the problem.
>
> Incidentally, this page:
> > http://cn.sports.yahoo.com/basketball/nba/

this is on the head of this page:

> is not sending a charset in the http headers either.  The charset comes
> from the html meta tag.
exactly...

> And yes, the two pages look pretty much the same from where I'm sitting.

yes except the chinese charaters are not the same. i'm don't read chinese
but they look different...