httpd-users mailing list archives

From jeffrey_n_D...@Keane.com
Subject [users@httpd] calling ssh/scp shell processes from within apache
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:13:07 GMT

I realize this is not solely an Apache question, i'm also posting to a php
list, and didn't want to cross post.

I have a page, written in PHP that calls three shell commands.  I'm calling
scp, then ssh and scp again.  I am using full paths when calling these
programs, i.e. /usr/bin/scp, /usr/bin/ssh.  The script works fine if
executed from the command line, as the user Apache runs as.  When i try to
execute similar code from a web browser being served up by Apache, none of
the commands seem to execute.

I would assume this has something to do with the environment the web
process runs in??  The ssh/scp connection autheticates with public key pair
authentication, which may not be allowed in this context.  I think/pretty
sure its getting challenged for the passphrase.
but, i'll send this anyway...just in case anyone has any insight/expierence
with this.

Server in question is Solaris9 with Apache 1.3.9/PHP 4.3.3

TIA.....Sorry for the slightly off topic post.
Jeff