httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How to override authorization in a subdirectory?
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:21:43 GMT
plain text please...

The "Satisfy" directive does exactly what you want. Basically, in the
directory you want freed up, you put in .htaccess:

Allow from all
Satisfy any

This ORs the access control (Allow from all) with the authentication.
Check docs for details.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Precourt [mailto:danidentity@comcast.net]
Sent: Dienstag, 23. März 2004 17:07
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] How to override authorization in a subdirectory?

Hello,

I'm sure there is a very simple solution to this problem, but please
bear with me; I am new to using Apache.

I'm setting up an HTTP server using Apache 2.0. Here's the problem,
http://danidentity.no-ip.info is the root of my server. I want to
password protect everything below that, except one directory. I've set
up aliases so I can do things like http://danidentity.no-ip.info/c, and
http://danidentity.no-ip.info/d to browse listings of my C and D drives,
respectively. However, there is one directory on drive D that I don't
want to password protect, so I can quickly drop files in there and have
people be able to access them from the outside. If I set up
authorization for drive D, all the subdirectories inherit that
authorization. Is there a way to override the authorization for one
directory on drive D, yet keep it for everything else?

I tried using an .htaccess file and couldn't get it working. I setup a
directory section for the directory I don't want password protected,
like so:

<Directory "D:/pubfiles ">
    AllowOverride All
</Directory>

Now what would I put in my .htaccess file in D:/pubfiles to override the
authorization I have setup for D:/ ? Doesn't seem like you can do
something like AuthType None, and if I leave out the authorization stuff
in the .htaccess file, it still prompts for a user/pass when trying to
access the directory.

Thank you for your help.
Dan
Groupe SWX.