httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] HOST ADDRESS of a client host behind transparentproxy?
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:07:13 GMT

Depends who you mean by "visitor" - you get the proxy's IP which is correct since that really
is the machine that visited your site. I'm not a proxy expert but I don't think that the proxy
acts like a messenger who goes and gets the page for you and so knows who the page is for
when it fetches it. Rather, the request comes in and the proxy checks its cache, if it doesn't
have the page, it fetches it. But it's fetching it to fill the cache, not really to serve
your particular request... Nothing in the request that the proxy sends to the server says
anything about who the original request is for.

> BTW, can I force
> to identify or how do I know that it's behind a
> proxy/transparent proxy?

You need some mechanism to authenticate the request. Set up a password-challenge (see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html)
or, use cookies and server-sided logic (CGI, ASP, JSP etc.) or, using SSL, require client
certs (http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_reference.html#ToC17).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persnliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur B rsen-
bzw. Geschftst tigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It
is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le prsent e-mail est
un message priv  et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activit boursi re du Groupe SWX.