httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Adding SSL to an Apache Server 2
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:29:49 GMT
Plain text please... or I can't quote the reply.

Do not download anything from modssl.org. This is only necessary for
apache 1.3. For apache 2, mod_ssl comes as an extension module with the
main distribution (it has been "taken over" by apache).

Your apache is way out of date - the best thing would be to upgrade and
recompile the whole thing adding mod_ssl at the same time.

If you don't want to do that, as you have already realised, you need to
compile mod_ssl and then load it dynamically at run time.

To do that, basically:

- Untar apache again in a temp directory.
- Run "configure --enable-ssl=shared" at least (probably some other
things to be set too)
- make

DO NOT run "make install" - you only want to compile the module in the
temp directory.

You will then have to find the compiled module and copy it to the apache
libexec directory (eg, /usr/local/apache2/libexec). Now you can use
LoadModule in the config to load it.

Note that installing and setting up an SSL server is not trivial. If you
a really lost, get a book.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle