httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Enabling SSL
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:55:50 GMT

I think you might have a plain HTTP VH also on port 443. Since it and
the SSL VH have the same TCP/IP attributes (IP and port) apache will
direct requests to the first one, which seems to be the HTTP VH. This is
what's causing the unknown protocol error (HTTPS client -> HTTP VH).

Check your config and make sure you only have one VH like:

<VH ip-addr:443>
  SSLRequireSSL
  SSLEngine on
  ... rest of SSL directives
  ... Docroot etc.
</VH>

If properly configured, a plain http request to port 443 should *fail*!

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> What do I need to the server to respond to its FQDN name in SSL mode?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.