httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] intercepting posts
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:07:15 GMT

There are several steps required to achieve what you want:

- First, you need to trap requests for mp3, avi and direct them to your
handler script. Depending on how complicated the transformation is, you
might get away with RedirectMatch, if not, mod_rewrite can handle just
about anything.

- For authentication, you rightly point out that the standard mod_auth
method is probably insufficient since it simply looks up a
username/password in a text file. You can put the passwords in a DB
using mod_auth_db but that's probably not what you want either.

- If authentication requires complex logic and DB access, you need
server-sided logic: Generically, an application to authenticate the
request and then return a cookie to the client which will be used to
authenticate subsequent requests. There are a number of technologies
available for doing this: Perl CGI, perl ASP, Cocoon (java-based). None
are trivial.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Regards,