httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Julian Grunnell" <Julian.Grunn...@pipex.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] urgent !!!!load sharing
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:47:45 GMT
Cisco - Local Director
Foundry Networks - Server Iron

Both do the trick nicely.

J.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Smith [mailto:gary@primeexalia.com]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 2:45 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] urgent !!!!load sharing

There are a couple ways to go about this.  In any event you need a second machine in order
to do the load balancing.

Get a machine and configure it the same as the existing machine.  As you haven't specified
the OS it's hard to tell you what is available but I'll kick out some common ones.

1) Load balance using a device (cisco has some devices but I can't remember the name - load
directory???.  This is good but expensive), 2) round robin the DNS (cheap but if one machine
goes down every other request knows it).  Load balance using some freeware/commercial software
(such as Resonate -www.resonate.com or the native MS software if you on windows).