httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Merrell, Vince [IT]" <vince.merr...@citigroup.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Images slow to load in CGI script
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:51:59 GMT
Well, the CGI itself isn't fast.
It's retrieving some data in real time from a database.

I guess we're into 5 or 6 seconds retrieving the data (although this is variable it's probably
no more than 10 seconds at worst) and processing it before the form can be generated based
on the data received.

The Perl contains $|=1; to stop Perl buffering the output although unsetting this doesn't
make any difference to the end result, the images are still slow to load.

One thing I have noticed while tailing Apache's access_log file is that the GET entry for
the image doesn't appear until the time the image arrives in the browser:

x.y.99.107 - web_server [10/Mar/2004:07:44:30 +0000] "POST /entitlements_admin/group_remove_dev/show_entitlements.cgi
HTTP/1.1" 200 7550
x.y.99.107 - - [10/Mar/2004:07:44:33 +0000] "GET /info2.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 195

The POST of the CGI appears in the log as the CGI ends and the table is drawn. The GET for
the GIF file appears 3 to 5 seconds after the the CGI finishes. Does this imply the browser
is delaying requesting the image? #

As far as KeepAlive suggestions from Aurélien, my httpd.conf contains the following:

KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
Timeout 300

Based on the comments in httpd.conf all these values seem reasonable.

Vince