httpd-users mailing list archives

From rob gwin <robg...@earthlink.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Best directive for prohibiting all script access
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:43:03 GMT
Hi, I've got a bunch of php apps running on redhat/apache1.3. Sometimes
a client of mine needs an ftp dir somewhere in the webroot so they can
upload images, html files, etc, and I want to prevent them from running
any sort of script there. So far I've figured out that I can nest a
<Files> inside a <Directory> for something like this:

<Directory /path/to/the/dir>
         <FilesMatch "\.(php|php3|php4|phtml)$">
                 Deny from all
         </FilesMatch>
</Directory>

..But I'm wondering if there's a better blanket-approach to this, where
I don't have to explicitly declare every possible "unsafe" file
extension every time (or conversely, declare all possible "safe"
extensions). I just simply want to prohibit anything that may be
interpreted or executed in the given dir; I feel like there oughtta be
another way to look at it. Anyone?

Thanks!
rob