httpd-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Stone <cityli...@petmystone.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] File extension matching behavior, help
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:49:16 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Timothy Stone wrote:
>
>>I'm running Apache 2.0.48 on Windows 2000.
>>
>>I just realized my source code for some pages were calling images with a
>>  lowercase extension when the resource was explicitly uppercase:
>>
>>   source: foo.jpg
>>
>>resource: foo.JPG
>>
>>I have also just noted that my installation of Apache is also serving
>>resources with arbitarily camel-cased resources as an experiment.
>>
>>Is this something about Apache on Windoze I need to know about that I
>>missed?
>

> The windows filesystem is case-insensitive, so apache on windows will
> access files without respect to case.
>
> Of course, you should always try to be uniform about your treatment of
> case, since URLs on the web are in general case-sensitive, and if you mix
> things up you could get duplicates in search engines, caches, etc.
>
> Joshua.

Thanks Joshua,

I inherited this site. I do know better, but since I'm personally very
good about naming conventions and the like, I never encountered before,
or I should say I never noticed it.

My staging server is Linux so I noticed it right away. First, cursed the
students that shipped the code and then cursed the instructor for not
doing code reviews or teaching the basics of code maintenance.

Tim