httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] exclude subdirectories from .htaccess / disable custom ErrorDocument
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:09:59 GMT
Christian Zietz wrote:

> Let me explain some more. I'm changing the structure of my web site. All
> the files used to be in the root directory of the server
> (http://.../file.html).
> Now I'm moving them to subdirectories and I configured a custom error
> message for the root directory (basically saying: "Site structure has
> changed. You'll be redirected to the index page.") Of course if a file
> isn't found in the subdirectories it is not because of the changed
> structure but because it's not there. At the moment I have custom error
> messages (saying approximately: "That file is really not there.")
> But I like the hard-coded messages.

Yes, but you didn't explain *why* you like the hard-coded message.  They
are really pretty pointless.  If you are using 2.0, then it comes with a
set of custom error messages that you can easily use.

But in any case, my proposed solution will work fine for you.  You just
put the new directory outside the DocumentRoot and Alias it into the
webspace.

Joshua.