httpd-users mailing list archives

From Christian Zietz <czi...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] exclude subdirectories from .htaccess / disable custom ErrorDocument
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:50:35 GMT
Hi,

Joshua Slive schrieb:

> Christian Zietz wrote:
>> So is there a way to
>> - exclude a subdirectory from the present .htaccess file
>> - or to re-enable the hard-coded messages in the subdirectory?

> Sound's like a security-through-obscurity type of request, which are
> usually pointless.

Let me explain some more. I'm changing the structure of my web site. All
the files used to be in the root directory of the server
(http://.../file.html).
Now I'm moving them to subdirectories and I configured a custom error
message for the root directory (basically saying: "Site structure has
changed. You'll be redirected to the index page.") Of course if a file
isn't found in the subdirectories it is not because of the changed
structure but because it's not there. At the moment I have custom error
messages (saying approximately: "That file is really not there.")
But I like the hard-coded messages.

CU Christian