httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to have 1.3 and 2.0 coexist on the same server
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:32:23 GMT

Kevin Old wrote:
> I have web apps running on Apache 1.3 and mod_perl 1.26.  Since mod_perl
> 1.99 isn't production ready, I've thought of the following work around
> so that I can keep my Apache 1.3 apps running on the same physical
> server as 2.0 and keep the user from having to specify a port (8080 in
> the example below).
>
> My idea is to run Apache 2.0 on port 80 and Apache 1.3 on port 8080.
>
> I'd like to use mod_rewrite to help pass requests that come in through
> Apache 2.0 (on port 80) over to the Apache 1.3 server (on port 8080).
> This way I could pass the request between the two servers/ports and it
> would be seamless to the user.
>
> First, is this a good idea?  Are there other suggestions on how to do
> this?

This should work fine, but it will add considerable complexity to your
setup, and will also make things somewhat slower.  My first choice would
be to back everything up to 1.3 if you really need mod_perl 1.26, or
take the chance with mod_perl and apache 2.

But If you really can't do that, then the proxy setup can have some
advantages.  You can have a light-weight apache on port 80 which will
handle the static requests and forward the more complicated requests
back to the mod_perl-enabled apache.

Anyway, your question is not very specific.  Yes, plenty of people do
run configuration with apache acting as a reverse-proxy to another
server.  What specifically do you want to know?

Joshua.