httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] difference of piped logs in Apache 1.3x and 2.x
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:26:57 GMT

Michael Michalowski wrote:
> JS> Yes, I have seen other similar reports about not having a full shell on
> JS> the piped loggers in apache 2.  I have some recollection of this being
> JS> fixed at some point, but I'm not sure.
>
> Any idea, where I can find these reports? I searched the inet before I
> postet to this mailinglist and found nothing. I also scanned the
> apache changes-file for fixes, but nothing found.

Sorry.  I looked around a little in the bug database, but couldn't find
a reference.

> JS> In any case, you can always create a small shell script that simply does
> JS> #!/bin/sh
> JS> program1 | program2
>
> JS> and call that shell script as your piped logger.
>
> yes, I thought about this solution too, but it's not the same. If I
> use a shell skript, I have to read the STDIN and start the pipe
> process for each log line. This is not the same behaviour, as piping
> the whole log stream.

I don't believe that is true.  Apache should pipe log lines through the
shell script just as it does for any other piped log program.

You might even be able to get away with
CustomLog "/bin/sh program1 | program2" ...

Joshua.