httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] REPOST: IPs missing from log files
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 09:27:58 GMT
Hans Vallden wrote:

> virtual domains and 5 unique IP addresses in use. After adding the
> latest three vhosts I noticed a strange phenomena with the log files.
> For some reason these three vhost log files do not get the visitor's
> IP address recorded, just a 'dash'. I have no clue whatsoever as to
> why this happens. The relevant /etc/httpd/httpd_macosxserver.conf
> CustomLog "/private/var/log/httpd/domain1.com/access_log"
> "%{PC-Remote-Addr}i %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
> \"%{User-agent}i\""
> CustomLog "/private/var/log/httpd/domain2.com/access_log"
> "%{PC-Remote-Addr}i %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
> \"%{User-agent}i\""

Why in the world are you using "%{PC-Remote-Addr}i" and not "%h" for the
address?  I have never heard of the header "PC-Remote-Addr", it must be
some custom OS X thing that one of your client applications sends, but
not always.  That would explain why it's sometimes blank.  The "%{}i"
notion only logs headers that the client sends, and so by using it
you're entirely at the mercy of what headers your client software
decides to send.

Brian