httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rajasekaran Deepak <deep...@students.iiit.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Serving XHTML as HTML
Date Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:40:30 GMT
* Steffen Heil <lists@steffen-heil.de> 2004-03-27
> You see, that HTML is not XHTML and vise versa !?!
> You definitly should serve files with approiate mime type.
XHTML 1 is mostly a subset of HTML 4. Therefore, XHTML 1 files can be served
as both XHTML and HTML. XHTML 2, on the other hand, will not be a subset of
HTML. Therefore, it cannot be served as HTML.

> AND remember, that every link inside these files will point either to .html
> or .xhtml. Making them available in two ways will solve your problem only on
> the first hit.
Each of my files has a separate directory and is named
'index.en-us.xhtml.utf8.ssi'. The symbolic link is named
'index.en-us.html.utf8.ssi'. All markup content has URIs ending with '/'.

I suggest that files with extension '.xhtml.html' be made available as both
XHTML and HTML. This will be very useful for XHTML 1 content. This can be
generalized to '.html.txt' (device may not be HTML-capable), '.pnm.txt'
(ASCII-encoded image) ('pnm(5)' man page), etc.

This is already implemented for natural languages. For example,
'.de-de.en-us' means that it contains both German (as used in Germany) and
English (as used in the USA), with German used more often.