httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Thomas Blake <and...@azulmx.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] FollowSymLinks in 2.0
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 01:07:48 GMT
On Thursday 25 March 2004 18:53, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Andrew Thomas Blake wrote:
> > I had trouble with following symlinks in an upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0
> >
> > It seems that there's been a change in policy: as far as I can tell
> > Apache now only follows symlinks within the document tree, whereas before
> > it followed them anywhere.
>
> No, there has been no change.
>
> What does the error log say?
>
> Joshua.

Hi Joshua

If I do a link to the same directory (cgi-bin) or the parent directory (also
mentioned in a <Directory> section in httpd.conf) my cgi script works fine.

But if I move the destination to a different directory (relinking of course),
I then get:

******************************
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/a.cgi on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.0.40 Server at iifac.loc Port 80

(I'm assuming that the note about the error document is irrelevant; I'll fix
that later...)

and in the error log:

[Thu Mar 25 19:00:06 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Symbolic link not
allowed: /home/hosts/iifac/cgi-bin/a.cgi

Thanks for looking into this with me

Andrew Blake