httpd-users mailing list archives

From Milan Andric <mand...@eecs.berkeley.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 1.3.28 - status page won't display
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:37:03 GMT
On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 06:13:36PM -0500, Jonathan Hays wrote:
> I am an admitted Apache newbie who is trying to get the status page to
> display. I have installed Apache 1.3.28 on Red Hat Fedora Core 1.
>
> I compiled with these switches:
> ===
> configure --prefix=/usr/local/etc/httpd --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE
> --ssyconfdir=/www/conf --enable-module=rewrite --enable-module=so
> --enable-module=status --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
>
> ===
> I added the following lines to httpd.conf to enable the server status
> reports:
>
> httpd.conf, beginning with line 205:
> ---
> LoadModule status_module /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_status.so
> AddModule mod_status.c
> #
> # ExtendedStatus controls whether Apache will generate "full" status
> # information (ExtendedStatus On) or just basic information
> (ExtendedStatus
> # Off) when the "server-status" handler is called. The default is Off.
> #
> ExtendedStatus On
> [output omitted]
>
> #
> # Allow server status reports, with the URL of
> http://servername/server-status
> # Change the ".your-domain.com" to match your domain to enable.
> #
> <Location /server-status>
>     SetHandler server-status
>     Order deny,allow
>     Deny from all
>     Allow from snort
> </Location>
> ===
> But I got this error when trying to start Apache:
>
> [root@snort bin]# ./apachectl start
> Syntax error on line 205 of /www/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_status.so into server:
> /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_status.so: undefined symbol:
> ap_hook_post_config
> ./apachectl start: httpd could not be started
> [root@snort bin]#

this means a library isn't linked correctly or something might not be compiled
correctly. what does ldd /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_status.so return?

you might be able to add edit apachectl and add a path to $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

> ===
> I commented out httpd.conf lines 205 and 206:
>
> #LoadModule status_module /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_status.so
> #AddModule mod_status.c
>
> ===
>
> Now it starts but I am still not getting status.

because /server-status won't work without the module.

> [root@snort bin]# ./apachectl start
> ./apachectl start: httpd started
> [root@snort bin]# httpd -l
> Compiled in modules:
>   core.c
>   prefork.c
>   http_core.c
>   mod_so.c
> [root@snort bin]# ./apachectl status
>
>                                    Forbidden
>
>    You don't have permission to access /server-status on this server.
>

>     Apache/1.3.28 Server at snort Port 80
> [root@snort bin]#
>
> ===
> I get the feeling that I don't fully understand the interaction between
> DocumentRoot and that "<Location /server-status>" section in httpd.conf.
>
> httpd.conf:
> ---
> DocumentRoot "/www/servers"
> [output omitted]
> <Location /server-status>
>     SetHandler server-status
>     Order deny,allow
>     Deny from all
>     Allow from snort
> </Location>
>
> ===
> I made sure the 'server-status' directory exists and perms are wide

i don't think you need to create a 'server-status' directory at all

> open:
>
> [root@snort servers]# pwd
> /www/servers
> [root@snort servers]# ls -Rl
> .:
> total 12
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           58 Mar 24 17:20 index.html
> drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         4096 Mar 24 17:40 server-status
> drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         4096 Mar 24 17:39 snort
>
> ./server-status:
> total 0
>
> ./snort:
> total 4
> drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         4096 Mar 24 17:39 server-status
>
> ./snort/server-status:
> total 0
> [root@snort servers]#
>
> ===
> Can anyone give me some hints where to go next?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan

Milan