httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rick Moen <r...@linuxmafia.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Please fix http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html
Date Sun, 21 Mar 2004 04:58:40 GMT
I'm trying to reach the maintainer of this mailing list's informational
Web page, http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html .  Up near the top, the
page includes the following:

    Ask smart questions:
    Eric Raymond has written a very useful guide to Asking Questions the
    Smart Way. [link to http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]

There are some problems:

1.  I _co-wrote_ that piece, as you'll see in its header.  Please add my
    name to your page's author credit.

2.  People keep e-mailing me Apache httpd technical questions, sometimes
    several per day.  Two examples are included below.  Would you please
    put a prominent notice on that page asking people NOT to do that?

Earlier, I went through this same damned hassle with the Jakarta
Project, and they eventually changed their user list's page
(http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html) as follows:

   Eric Raymond and Rick Moen have even written an essay entitled "Asking
   Smart Questions" precisely on this topic. Although somewhat militant,
   it is definitely worth reading.  Note: Please do NOT send your Java
   problems to the two authors. They welcome feedback on the FAQ's
   contents, but are simply not a Java help resource. Follow the essay's
   advice and choose your forum carefully.

You could do something like that.

3.  Your German-language mailing list has the same problem
(http://httpd.apache.org/usersdelist.html).  Would you please ask the
maintainer of _that_ page to also post a prominent notice?

I'm not 100% sure those are the Apache httpd project's only two links to
my and Eric's essay.  As you'll see from what follows, I keep asking
these people writing me _what URL_ they found my address on, and they
never give straight answers.   Anyway:

4.  If you guys have any _other_ links to "How to Ask Questions the
Smart Way", PLEASE put prominent notices on them not to send Apache
questions to the authors.

Thank you.