httpd-users mailing list archives

From hunter <theanti...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] localhost not working on XP
Date Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:05:34 GMT
On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 15:26, Kim Evans wrote:
> I am trying to install Apache 2.0.49 on my XP Professional system - Version
> 2002 Service Pack 1. All windows updates have been installed.
> Through the installation wizard I set
> Network Domain  to localdomain
> server name to localhost
> and left the for All users on Port 80'' button set.
> The installation appeared to install OK and it began as a service.
>
> When I go to the browser and input
>  http://localhost
>  http://localhost:80
>
> I get no response - the system just hangs ie sits there for minutes with no
> response.
>
> What have I missed - I have re-installed a number of times with different
> versions and have the same problem.
>
> Thanks
> Kim Evans

Kim,

Start here...

In a console type 'net stop apache2'

Does it say...
The Apache2 service is not started.

Or does it say
The Apache2 service is stopping...
The Apache2 Service was stopped successfully.

Now go to the \apache\bin directory (where ever you installed it) and
type...

apache -k start

If there are errors in your apache conf sometimes you will get clues
from Apache when it starts from the command line.

You should look in the logs directory for errors as well.

I am guessing because I do not use the installer, but perhaps you
created a servername like this localhost.localdomain and I doubt that
this resolves to an Ip Address.

Try editing your httpd.conf by hand (notepad), find the ServerName line
and see what it says. Change it to localhost:80 and retry starting
Apache like above. There is no configuration value called Network Domain
in the httpd.conf so I suspect it is used to build the ServerName
setting.

With Apache stopped you should be able to use the netstat command to
learn if there is an IIS holding the port.

>From the console type 'netstat -a -o'

This will list the active ports and -o means show the PID's of the
process that has the port. Compare PID with those in the taskmanager to
learn who has port 80 or http.

Let me know (on the list ) what you learn and I will see if I can help
you along.

Chris