httpd-users mailing list archives

From Didier Peereboom Voller <did...@simpelinternet.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Rebuild
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:52:16 GMT
Good news and bad news.

I presume you download the source from an apache mirror and did the
unpack, change into dir thing.

First off Red Hat used in the past its own layout, where files are
placed, wich is different from the standard apache layout. So like this
you will have httpd in two different places. The old and the new. Not
good (it is like flipping a coin wich files will be used). See
config.layout and ./configure --help output on how to fix this. (not
sure if redhat still does this but it doesn't hurt to check)

Second is that Red Hat has its own version of Apache. Any
patches/changes/optimizations will be lost. This is usually not major
but if they included a module wich is not standard and you use it then
it will bite you.

Third is that with the commands below you will install the default
modules and options. This may not be what you want. Most people it is
okay. But I seen webservers fail. Basically again you loose anytbing
special Red Hat did.

The good news is that you won't loose anything EXCEPT the old executable
files and modules. Configuration files and content is NOT overwritten.
If you use the same layout then I never seen a problem except for the
points I mentioned earlier. (although you do of course have backups of
config and content don't you?)

Your best solution? Upgrade from a new RPM. Installing from source is
really powerfull and usefull if you know what your doing. If you don't
you may end up with downtime on your server. If this is your first time
installing from source you may also run into the old "missing header"
problem.

If you got a test server there is no risk. You will loose nothing except
some hours in the worst case.

If you insist of updating from source. Sort out the layout. Determine if
you need any special modules that are not included by default and go for
it on a test machine.