httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Old <k...@kold.homelinux.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How to have 1.3 and 2.0 coexist on the same server
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:21:12 GMT
On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 14:57, Robinson, Josie M. wrote:
> Stating the obvious but when you build apache 1.3 and 2.0 put them in
> separate directories, this can be specified during the config/install
> process.
>
> #./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache

Josie,

Yes, I'm aware of how to install two versions of Apache.  I reread my
post and I never really asked the questions that I need answered, I just
laid out my reasoning for doing it.

I have web apps running on Apache 1.3 and mod_perl 1.26.  Since mod_perl
1.99 isn't production ready, I've thought of the following work around
so that I can keep my Apache 1.3 apps running on the same physical
server as 2.0 and keep the user from having to specify a port (8080 in
the example below).

My idea is to run Apache 2.0 on port 80 and Apache 1.3 on port 8080.

I'd like to use mod_rewrite to help pass requests that come in through
Apache 2.0 (on port 80) over to the Apache 1.3 server (on port 8080).
This way I could pass the request between the two servers/ports and it
would be seamless to the user.

First, is this a good idea?  Are there other suggestions on how to do
this?

Any help is appreciated,
Kevin
--