httpd-users mailing list archives

From "John Doumani" <fug...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] REPOST: Javascript includes not being parsed.
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:04:39 GMT
Hello Owen,

I have not by any means given up. I simple went off to review the scripts
and architecture to determine the cause of the problem I knew that the
scripts themselves were valid since they worked without error when hardcoded
in the HTML file.

It turns out that it had nothing to do with the use of the LANGUAGE
attribute, although I am grateful to you and Nick for pointing out the
valid, non-deprecated syntax.

The problem was one of imbedded <script></script> tags. There was an
occurrence of these tags in the .js file that, once removed enabled the
scripts to work. A simple fix that I admittedly overlooked.

I do appreciate all the time and effort that you, Nick, and Henry have given
us.

Regards,

John

----- Original Message -----
From: "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Boyle@swx.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 5:15 AM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] REPOST: Javascript includes not being parsed.

Heck, don't give up that easy! It's just getting interesting... When you
get back from your fishing, consider:

- It works with the JS hardcoded into the <script> tag, so your browser
has JS enabled.
- It definitely requests the .js file so the browser is parsing the
<script> tag.
- Apache delivers the .js file (you get 200 in the access_log).

So the browser is refusing to execute the code. This must be because it
doesn't recognise it as JS. Ideas:

- As Nick mentioned, the use of "language" as an attribute to <script>
is now deprecated. I'd be surprised if your browser is so up-to-date and
strict that it's already barfing on this, but you might try using the
preferred attribute type="text/javascript" on its own.
- Check the mime-type for files of extension .js - it should be
"application/x-javascript".
- Have you any other browsers you can try this on?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.