httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Mangin" <jon.man...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Re: Re: Changing Port Apache listens on?
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:30:42 GMT
See if Wordpad works better. Do NOT investigate the joys of vi yet.

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2004 4:21 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] Re: Re: Re: Changing Port Apache listens on?

I don't think you understand.  In httpd.conf EVERYTHING looks like comments.
EVERYTHING.  Not somethings but EVERYTHING.
This is an issue of linebreaks not appearing in Notepad which is what I am
using to view the file.
When I tried posting in this post what it looked like to me the line breaks
appeared correctly.
I have fixed the issue.  But only because when I tried to post the way the
file looks to me the linebreaks became clear which they wer NOT viewing
httpd.conf
in Notepad.

There was no installer in this installation.  The way it works is like this:

Cygwin | Setup | Apache | done.

That's it no more and no less.  That's all.  Once that was done I was at the
mercy of reading
locations on the web what to do to get it going and the fact that the
linebreaks
were not appearing in httpd.conf I was at a loss where to change the port.

George Hester
"Bill Tribley" <> wrote in message
> You may be confused because of the use of defaults. It is standard
practice to include commented statements of all defaulted parameters. If you
don't like the default, you uncomment and change. Be grateful for the
comments. In the bad old days all you got was the code, and it wasn't very
readable.

> Apache is a complex system. The header clearly encourages the installer to
really read the thing and understand it before diving in. I think if you do
that you will get used to the flowing form.