httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Will" <wil...@wawhosts.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Problem with .htaccess
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:03:10 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Boyle Owen [mailto:Owen.Boyle@swx.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 8:55 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Problem with .htaccess

What does "did not work" mean? Describe in detail the failure mode (use
cut'n'paste - don't paraphrase).

What do you think???? Did not work means it did not let me see the
password protected page!! That is not hard to figure out. And secondly I
am using another computer for the email. The server is just that a
server, so it is hard to copy and paste.

> I am using this
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcovz/htpasswd.html to generate an htaccess
> password.

Please use htpasswd that came with apache. If you use a third-party
utility anything can happen and there is no guarantee that anything will
work.

First off I am using Windows XP.  It will not let me access the
htpaswd.exe file to add a password.  I was trying to access it through
the command prompt.

> It is still refusing me to login.

And is the error message still "password mismatch"? (it is really
important to know the error message. I am not stting at your computer
and know only what you tell me so you must tell me everything.)

IT SAYS PASSWORD MISSMATCH!!!  If you are going to be a smart ass then I
will figure it out myself!!  Do not bother.  If you treat newbies like
this then you must know everything.....yeah right!!!

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Am I missing something.
>
> ~WILL~