httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Hays" <no...@gfoyle.org>
Subject [users@httpd] 1.3.28 - status page won't display
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:13:36 GMT
I am an admitted Apache newbie who is trying to get the status page to
display. I have installed Apache 1.3.28 on Red Hat Fedora Core 1.

I compiled with these switches:
===
configure --prefix=/usr/local/etc/httpd --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE
--ssyconfdir=/www/conf --enable-module=rewrite --enable-module=so
--enable-module=status --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

===
I added the following lines to httpd.conf to enable the server status
reports:

httpd.conf, beginning with line 205:
---
LoadModule status_module /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_status.so
AddModule mod_status.c
#
# ExtendedStatus controls whether Apache will generate "full" status
# information (ExtendedStatus On) or just basic information
(ExtendedStatus
# Off) when the "server-status" handler is called. The default is Off.
#
ExtendedStatus On
[output omitted]

#
# Allow server status reports, with the URL of
http://servername/server-status
# Change the ".your-domain.com" to match your domain to enable.
#
<Location /server-status>
    SetHandler server-status
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from snort
</Location>
===
But I got this error when trying to start Apache:

[root@snort bin]# ./apachectl start
Syntax error on line 205 of /www/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_status.so into server:
/usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_status.so: undefined symbol:
ap_hook_post_config
./apachectl start: httpd could not be started
[root@snort bin]#

===
I commented out httpd.conf lines 205 and 206:

#LoadModule status_module /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_status.so
#AddModule mod_status.c

===

Now it starts but I am still not getting status.

[root@snort bin]# ./apachectl start
./apachectl start: httpd started
[root@snort bin]# httpd -l
Compiled in modules:
  core.c
  prefork.c
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c
[root@snort bin]# ./apachectl status

                                   Forbidden

   You don't have permission to access /server-status on this server.

    Apache/1.3.28 Server at snort Port 80
[root@snort bin]#

===
I get the feeling that I don't fully understand the interaction between
DocumentRoot and that "<Location /server-status>" section in httpd.conf.

httpd.conf:
---
DocumentRoot "/www/servers"
[output omitted]
<Location /server-status>
    SetHandler server-status
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from snort
</Location>

===
I made sure the 'server-status' directory exists and perms are wide
open:

[root@snort servers]# pwd
/www/servers
[root@snort servers]# ls -Rl
.:
total 12
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           58 Mar 24 17:20 index.html
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         4096 Mar 24 17:40 server-status
drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         4096 Mar 24 17:39 snort

./server-status:
total 0

./snort:
total 4
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         4096 Mar 24 17:39 server-status

./snort/server-status:
total 0
[root@snort servers]#

===
Can anyone give me some hints where to go next?

Thanks,

Jonathan