httpd-users mailing list archives

From m i l e s <listu...@magicmiles.com>
Subject [users@httpd] HTACCESS FIle ?
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 20:12:46 GMT
Hi,

I know this has probably been discussed before but...
yes that's right....DUCK! Another Apache Stupid Newbie
question....eeeeek! <giggle>

Below are the instructions I received from a friend of mine
to set up access control for the apache webserver
for folder level access.

I set it up....created the .htaccess file via PICO
as the superuser....and it doesn't work.

Can anyone tell me what Im missing ?

PS:  Yes the password file is sitting in the users directory
that is mentioned below.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1.) To set up a password protected folder,
you first create a .htaccess file within
the folder you want to protect, that
contains the following:

AuthType Basic
AuthName your_realm
AuthUserFile /Users/username/nameofpasswordfile
require valid-user

2.) Replacing "your_realm" with the name for
your protected realm and the AuthUserFile
path with the path to the file that
contains the username/password combinations.

3.) Then, to create/add users to the user/password
file, use the following command line operation:

	htpasswd [-c] passwordfile username
	(the -c creates a new file if you need to do so)

--
M i l e s

President & Toolbox Architect
MagicMiles Software
(413) 374 - 5161
PO Box 414, Northampton, MA 01060

http://www.servicetoolbox.com/
http://www.workshoptoolbox.com/
http://www.healingartstoolbox.com/
http://www.artshoptoolbox.com/

We create content management systems for
the rest of us, starting at $25.00 a month,
includes domain registration, web hosting,
email and webmail.  Great for Yoga Teachers,
Massage Therapists, Lawyers, Doctors,
and any professional!