httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Paul Obeda (ACM)" <pdob...@acm.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Want "AuthType None" on subdirectory
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2004 06:12:17 GMT
I have enabled basic authentication on my serverroot, in order
to limit noise from the world at large randomly walking around
my site.

On valid subdirectories, I have supplied a directory-appropriate
password file, and require valid-user.  For other subdirectories
I would like to explicitly 'disable' the authentication process;
however, the closest alternative I can currently find in the
documentation is to allow anonymous access instead.

I'd prefer to not prompt for a user/pass when the user has specified
an appropriate directory; perhaps the equivalent of an "AuthType None"
for that subdirectory.

That is ... (significantly trimmed):
 <Directory docs>
    AuthType Basic
    Require valid-user
 </Directory>

 <Directory docs/publicdir>
# What I want; currently must specify Anonymous etc directives.
    AuthType None
 </Directory>

 <Directory docs/privatedir>
    AuthUserFile userpassfile
 </Directory>

So far, the only option I can find still requires a user/pass prompt,
even if (through anonymous directives) the fields may be left blank.

Anyone have ideas for better solutions?