httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite and firewall problem
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:42:11 GMT

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Batara Kesuma wrote:
> I have Apache running mod_perl. I want to split the dynamic contents and
> static contents (image files) into 2 servers. So I downloaded thttpd and
> set it to run on port 8080. Then I use mod_rewrite to redirect all access
> to /img to port 8080, so all access to static contents (image files) will
> be served by thttpd on port 8080. But the problem is, some users are
> behind firewall, and the firewall only allow them to connect to port 80.
> How can I fix this problem? Please help.

I don't think your technique is very good in the first place.  If all the
requests are going to have to go through apache (even for a redirect),
then you are not going to make things faster by splitting images onto
another server.

People who do this sort of thing usually have the front-end machine serve
the images directly, and proxy (rather than redirect) to a back-end
maching only for dynamic content.  Apache can do this with the [P] plag to
RewriteRule, but you would need to use Apache to serve the images.

The other option, of course, is to access the images at a different
hostname and assign that to a different IP address on your machine.  Then
thttpd and Apache could each listen on their own IP address for their
respective content.

Joshua.