httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 features
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 03:24:15 GMT

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Anderson Neo wrote:

> Does apache is considering the feature that allow the parent to fork child
> processes that run as the user specified in the <VirtualHost> User
> directive? (Not refering to CGI suexec)

Certainly not for 1.3.  This is technically infeasible in a pre-forking
server.  You would need to fork a new child for each request, which would
be terribly slow.

If you are only talking about a few virtual hosts, you can do this
yourself by setting up a number of instances of apache listening on high
ports and then put an apache proxy in front to dispatch the requests on
port 80.

There have been some attempts to accomplish this in a more elegant way in
apache 2.0 (see the perchild mpm), but I don't think any of them are
working at the moment.

Joshua.