httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_cgi logging question
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:39:01 GMT
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Brett Deason wrote:

> Hello,
>       we run a hosting business and as such find we have to often deal
> with detecting illegal content possibly generated by our users.

Are you proactively looking for trouble?  I thought hosting providers
would only act when you get a complaint alerting you to a problem.
But then I'm a developer, not a host.

> browser. What I'm asking is there anyway to force Apache (mod_cgi) to
> log ALL cgi output, this way we could write another script to scan the
> log on a daily basis for danger keywords.

Erm, what kind of volume are you generating?

> I know you have filters and handlers, but firstly filters aren't
> supported for Apache 1.3 (?)- many hosts still run 1.3,

Actually 1.3 does support a (very primitive) form of output filter
that would be sufficient for your purposes.  It has to be built in
to the handler, so either you'd run a modified mod_cgi or you'd
use a custom module that runs mod_cgi in a subrequest.

With 2.0 it is of course trivial.

> Any help to possibly allow for cgi output scanning would be greatly
> appreciated

Do you have a budget for this?

--
Nick Kew