httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] chunked http response
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 23:37:06 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Jason Jesso wrote:
>
> > I wrote a program that sends an HTTP message to a web server and gets
> > the response.  The web server is the apache http server.
> >
> > One particluar response is "chunked" transfer encoding on a SSL
> > connection.   What I am finding is that I am getting all the content
> > (i.e. chunks), but the last "0" sized chunk to denote the end 20 - 22
> > seconds later.

Sounds like you could have a handler or filter in there that's failing
to send an EOS down the chain.  If so, it's a bug that should be fixed.

> It's related to keep-alive handling, I'd guess.  You should send
> "Connection: close" in your request if you don't plan to do more than a
> single request for the connection.  Otherwise, the server sends the
> response and then waits for another request.

Yes, that's right, but it can hold the connection open without
holding back the final chunk.  Using "Connection: close" may be
addressing a symptom while leaving an underlying problem unfixed.

> You could also indicate in your request that you don't want chunked
> encoding, but I forget the header to use for that.  It's probably
> "Accept-Encoding:".

No, that's not connected with chunked encoding.  The easy way to avoid
the possibility of a chunked response is to send HTTP/1.0 requests.

--
Nick Kew