httpd-users mailing list archives

From "The Fueley" <TheFue...@satx.rr.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Hosting your own website...
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 05:34:17 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Destry Jaimes [mailto:dj@swicked.net]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 10:20 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Hosting your own website...

It's probably not advisable to run apache on your local machine because
"home" users may not know exactly how to secure it properly. If you do want
to run your site from home, get another machine to act as your web server. I
have been hosting our site ( http://etlug.org ) from my home for a while.
DynDNS.org can help you as far as keeping your IP up to date if your ISP
uses dynamic IPs. They are who I've registered our domain with and they also
keep up with my changing IP address. To do this, you'll probably have to use
an update client, which you can also find on their site. Some hardware
routers have a dyndns client built in so you may want to check on that.
The main thing is to make sure it's secure, and, like I said, you may want
to consider running a dedicated machine just for your web server.
Hope this helps

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:11:16 -0800 (PST)
fox mulder <raxian@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I read on some apache posts that it isn't advisable to
> host your own site on  your local machine. I was
> wondering, if you wanted to, what would the steps be
> to do this? My domain is registered on registerfly. Do
> I add my ip address to their dns listing? I am behind
> a router on DSL and I doubt a DHCP address would work.

"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither."
		-- Thomas Jefferson

So if the router doesn't have DDNS built in, you just run the client update
prog on a local machine, setup the apache server, and allow incoming traffic
to the server right? i have dyndns setup and wasn't sure where to go from
there. i have their customdns service setup. now to get apache2 and an ftp
proggie going.
TheFueley