httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] executing php in Apache
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:13:31 GMT

When apache executes a "standard" CGI in perl, it first encounters the
shebang line (#!/usr/bin/perl). This causes it to load an instance of
the perl interpreter into the shell that's forked to run the CGI. Then
it runs the CGI. Then the shell exits. The next time that CGI is hit,
apache rumbles through the same rigmarole again.

That's obviously a bit inefficient. mod_perl allows you to load an
instance of perl into httpd at runtime and for it to persist for the
life of that daemon. So any perl code is executed by the in-memory
interpreter. Thats a lot faster and also allows you to take advantage of
persistence of data. At the risk of getting a bollocking, you might like
to look at http://perl.apache.org for more details...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Thanks,
> Chuck

d_mod_php

You might also try using the DSO approach and apply the section "Build
mod_perl
as a DSO outside the Apache Source Tree via APXS" to mod_php.

BTW: The php install is part of the standard installation procedure.
You
install php from the standard install as part of the apache build.

>>> Somraj.Bhattacharyya wrote 2/25/2004 5:27:14 AM >>>
Hi

Can anyone guide me on how to setup Apache 2 to support php files
execution
?

Thanks in advance

Groupe SWX.