httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] *.shtml or *.html
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:25:29 GMT

I think you understand the issue but come to a mistaken conclusion. The
point is whether you want to use SSI on a few pages or on most pages. If
only on a few pages, use .shtml for those pages to restrict parsing to
those that need it. If for all or most pages, then use .html everywhere
and tell the handler to parse all .html files.

If you're going to use SSI for navigation, you need to apply it to all
pages so can't avoid parsing everything and so it doesn't matter what
you call your pages.

NB - some people use SSI sparingly, eg to put a timestamp on a single
page. So that's why the .shtml mechanism arose.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Is there any way of getting the server to check the
> modified date of the file to see whether it needs to
> be re-cached or not and thus avoid parsing every page
> over and over again?
>
> Are there any solutions that would allow SSI to be
> used efefctively without having all my pages renamed
> to *.shtml and parsed.
>
> Thank you,
> Ben Crane

> http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html