httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Authenticating a single directory
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:39:31 GMT

Eh? 403 Forbidden is the status code returned when the client requests a
resource which apache is not permitted to serve. The usual cause is a
mis-configuration of the mod_access directives (Allow, Deny). I didn't
say it had anything to do with authentication.

A failure of Basc Authentication leads to a 401 Unauthorized - which is
not what the original poster complained of.

Since I'm not sitting at a console on the guy's webserver, I proposed
the likliest solution.
It turns out, him having provided more information, that it wasn't the
problem. Fine, perhaps he'll take your advice and look in the error log.

> > This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
>
> That's a huge bunch of crap attached to your message.  Please fire
> the wannabe-lawyer moron who wrote it, and post from a
> cleaner account.

You are a rude ignoramus. I (along with countless others who work in
corporate environments) cannot control the attachment of these
disclaimers. Much as you might dislike them, they are an unfortunate
feature of email nowadays and you should just get used to ignoring them
rather than getting all steamed up and putting the world to rights.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

PS - why didn't you bother to read the disclaimer above?

PPS - there's another disclaimer below for you to get all worked up
about - enjoy.

> --
> Nick Kew

Groupe SWX.