httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] virtual hosting on a lan - hard limitations?
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:24:12 GMT

It's a common point of confusion. Apache can function at two levels as a
proxy, depending on what you want to do.

- If you have a live webserver on the internet and you want the internet
to be able to access another webserver *inside* your DMZ, you use
ProxyPass. That lets the world see into an internal webspace.

- If you want clients (browsers) inside your DMZ to be able to browse
the web by going via your server, you set "ProxyRequests on" (and you
tell the clients to use your webserver as a proxy). This way, apache
will fetch any pages from the web for your internal clients. To avoid
that your server becomes an open relay and gets used by hackers to cover
their tracks, you have to secure your server a little (see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html#access).

The confusion arises because most people think of Proxying as a a single
thing and assume that since they need to use ProxyPass, they have to
"switch on" proxying with "ProxyRequests on". You don't - it depends on
what you want to do. It wouldn't matter much except that if you do set
"ProxyRequests on" without understanding what it does, you create an
open relay - anyone, anywhere can request anything using your machine
and you will be logged as the client.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> One thing that became clear immediately was why absolute
> links are a mess
> if there's any chance a site will be reverse proxied, right?
>
> Also (yeah I know this is lazy on my part) I played with the
> proxy mods,
> commented out by default on my Apache2 conf file and am just enabling
> proxy_module and proxy_connect_module in the LoadModule section.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
> This Month's New Quiz --- Past Superbowl Winners
> Make a Website: http://face2interface.com/Home/Demo.shtml

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.