httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Is Apache that difficult to run...
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:47:55 GMT

Eclipse
> as the JDT) ... PowerBuilder inhouse GUI apps,
> mainframe COBOL backend, with a Java website developed on VAJ
> and run on Domino (as a web server) and Websphere app server.

Phew...

You'll have no trouble configuring apache. All you need is to be able to
operate a text-editor.

Apache out-of-the-box will start up automatically serving pages from a
default directory. To move the document root to another directory
(usually your first task) involves editing exactly one line.

If you want to expand the complexity of your configuration, apache
offers almost limitless potential (well, you'll be limited by the
resources of your platform before apache). There is tons of
documentation online and in professional books and there is this and
other mailing lists if you get stuck.

As regards the mailing list - I would take the volume of queries as an
indication of the popularity of apache. If it was hard to use, nobody
would bother with it. Also, many of the questions are people hitting the
same old trap time and again (eg, SSL NBVHs). Others come from windows
users to whom the unix-based nomenclature and concepts are unfamiliar
(try explaining file permissions to a win98 user). A lively list is a
positive attribute of an application.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Groupe SWX.