httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] documentroot question
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:47:20 GMT

No need - apache always logs a failed request. The request is not
getting to apache.

> I get a "Cannot find server or DNS Error" on IE. I triggered the error
log
> with some other intentional mistake. These are logged fine, but I
don't get
> any error from the Horde page request.

So nothing to do with apache then. The browser can't resolve the
domain-name part of the URL. Do you have "localhost" in /etc/hosts? What
happens if you http://127.0.0.1/your-resource ?

> <Directory "/var/www/tmp">
> 	AllowOverride None
> 	Allow from localhost

Very good. But where is the docroot? If this is not under the docroot,
it is inaccessible.

> 	Deny from all
> 	Order deny,allow
> </Directory>
>
> This would mean that if the directory needs to be publicly
> accessible, then
> I would have to change it into allow from all.
> But I thought that only local access was required.

I've no idea what a "Horde" is. This is an apache list. If you're using
a 3rd party application that no-one has ever heard of, you might mention
what it does first.

I'm still not clear if you are trying to make an HTTP request for
/var/www/tmp (which is one thing) or if you're trying to access the
directory with another application triggered by apache (eg, write to it
via a CGI). Maybe if a I knew what a "Horde" was, I might have a better
idea.

> Must check
> that with the
> Horde guys.

Good idea. Also check the Huns, Vandals and Visigoths while you're at
it...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Groupe SWX.