httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Another RewriteRule Question - REALLY: Limit on 64 VHs
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 08:18:09 GMT
Please start a new thread for a new question. You will confuse the
archives...

When reporting problems, can you please describe *exactly* what happens
when you add the 64th VH - what requests work? what requests fail? What
error code (404, 401)? What do you get in the error_log? Are you sure
apache starts?

> It's not the problem of file descriptors because I have the
> same log and
> error file for all the virtualhost.
>
> I don't understand why there is this limitation to 64 virtualhost.
>
> I configure the virtualhost with the ports because so all the site are
> accessible with the same name (I can't modify the HOST file
> [Windows 2000
> Pro] of all the 15 PCs all the time that I add a virtualhost)
>
> My webserver use Windows 2000 professional (not server).

So you are using port-based VHs. That's OK, but remember that a socket
(ie, a "Listen <port>") is also a file descriptor. There is no limit on
VHs in apache but the OS certainly limits the number of sockets a
process can hold open. No idea what the limit is for Win2k (or how to
test it) but 64 sounds like a nice round number that MS would say
"should be enough for anyone".

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Have you any idea ?
>

> Thank you very much.
>

> (excuse my english, I can't make better)
>
> Gianni Ceresa

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.