httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Re-Write Rule
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 10:04:12 GMT

The trouble is that mod_rewrite works with the pathname (recap: a URL
consists of protocol://hostname/pathname). In your case, the pathname is
"/webmail" and mod_rewrite never sees "www.mydomain.co.uk".

You don't actually need mod_rewrite as a simple RedirectMatch in each VH
will work;

    ServerName www.yourdomain.com
    RedirectMatch /webmail/(.*)$ https://webmail.yourdomain.com/$1

You probably didn't like "in each VH"... Unfortunately, httpd.conf is a
configuration file - not a scripting language. So it doesn't support
variables and control structures and so on. The usual workaround for
when you have a requirement like yours is to use a script (eg, perl) to
write the config for you when the server starts. This means a minor hack
to apachectl to make it run the config script to build the config file.

It's a pain the first time you need it but it makes future development
easy.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> TIA,