httpd-users mailing list archives

From Camner <cam...@iname.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Accessing a virtual host on a *nix based apache server from an XP box
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:50:11 GMT
I have apache 1.3 running on a *nix box (actually Mac OS 10.3.2).  I have
the following entries in my httpd.conf file:

#</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost lbppdocs>
    DocumentRoot "/Users/robertcamner/Documents/Computer related/Web
sites/Camner_net/bppdocs"
    ServerName bppdocs
</VirtualHost>
#the following Directory directive allows access to the DocumentRoot
specified above.  Also, the appropriate permissions must be set (set
"Others" to "Read only")
<Directory "/Users/robertcamner/Documents/Computer related/Web
sites/Camner_net/bppdocs">
    Options All
    AllowOverride All
    Order Allow,Deny
    Allow from All
</Directory>

Then, in my hosts file on the *nix box, I have an entry 127.0.0.1 lbppdocs

This allows me to access the virtual host directory specified above.  I can
access it from a browser on my *nix box by
[URL=http://lbppdocs]http://lbppdocs[/URL]

On my XP box, I added the line 192.168.1.103 (the local address of the *nix
box) to the hosts file, but from a browser on the XP box, surfing to
[URL=http://lbppdocs]http://lbppdocs[/URL] takes me  to the root directory
on the apache server box, not the directory specified by the Directory entry
in the httpd.conf file.

So, the configuration works from the box on which apache is running, but not
from another machine.

Any help would be appreciated.