httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jiang, Jing" <jji...@inovant.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] CGI Scripts
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:54:54 GMT
Owen,

Thank you so much for the help of implementation of cgi script.
Right now I got error on

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/cricket/grapher.cgi on this server.

I checked path along the way. All have 755 mode on directory and files. please help how to
resolve this permission issue. thanks.

Jing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Boyle Owen [mailto:Owen.Boyle@swx.com]
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 12:20 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] CGI Scripts

Plain text please...

ScriptAlias is an "alias" - it provides a one-to-one mapping between a
URL and a filesystem path. So when you say:

	ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/www/cgi-bin/"

apache will map http://servername/cgi-bin/prog to /www/cgi-bin/prog.

It *does not* create a searchable list of paths (like your $PATH
environment variable). So you can't have more than one ScriptAlias with
the *same* left-hand argument. That is, in your example, apache will
parse the first ScriptAlias and assign the URL "/cgi-bin" to
/www/cgi-bin. Then it will parse the second ScriptAlias, and re-assign
the URL "/cgi-bin" to /www/blast. So it will overwrite the first
ScriptAlias and forget about it.

If you need to have two directories with executable content, you have
two choices:

- Give them different URLs;

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/www/cgi-bin/" (use http://server/cgi-bin/prog)
ScriptAlias /blast-cgi/ "/www/blast/" (use http://server/blast-cgi/prog)

- Use "Addhandler" to define CGIs based on file extension rather than
directory;

AddHandler cgi-script .pl

You can apply this to specific directories for more fine-grained
control. See docs for more details.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle