httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Thorburn <immor...@nwconx.net>
Subject [users@httpd] httpd.conf differences under Windows/Linux?
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:45:52 GMT
Hi,

For awhile now I've been using my WinXP machine as a testing server for my
web designs, however a number of reasons are motivating me to use a Linux
machine for this purpose.  I've d/led and compiled Apache 1.3.29 under
Fedora Core 1 properly and installed PHP along with MySQL successfully.

The problem I'm noticing is when I copy my <VirtualHost> commands from my
Windows httpd.conf to the linux version I get a permission denied
error.  Here is a sample:

Port 80
NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.86

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.86>
	ServerName testSite
	DocumentRoot /home/testSite/public_html
</VirtualHost>

I've also added testSite into my /etc/hosts file.  After reading through a
few archived messages on this list I went and made the directory
/home/testSite/public_html 777 as well as all the files and sub-directories
contained within it as a way of trying to isolate the problem.

Is there a simple step I may be missing in the Linux setup of Apache that
differs from the Windows version?

Thanks
-Tim